Welcome Message

This blog celebrates the beauty of Asian men by illustrating the depth and variety that is so often missed by those who make foolish statements like "All Asians look the same." It is primarily a photo blog, but I will also occasionally write comments related to Asian men and gay life as it relates to them.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Rosie Unconcerned About Asian Insult



Ok, so I'm supposed to be on holiday mode and not posting, but I read this and had to pass it on. As reported on Ellegedly.com (a very fun, cool blog I just recently discovered), the New York Post's Page 6 has given yet another reason to wish Rosie O'Donnell would just go away already (as if another reason was needed). This time, Rosie, who was amazingly over-sensitive and over-reacting to Kelly Ripa's non-existent homophobia, apparently is completely unconcerned about possibly offending another group--this time, Asians.

A couple days after actor Danny DeVito made a rather-drunk appearance on The View, Rosie was commenting about how big the story had become, reaching even to international newspapers. She said the story was "international news! In China it was like, 'Ching chong, ching-ching-chong, Danny DeVito!'"

Apparently, Rosie's humor is too nuanced for Asians to grasp.Obviously, this did not sit well with many. In response to her mockery, the Asian-American Journalists Association said, "We consider this a mockery of the Chinese language and, in effect, a perpetuation of stereotypes of Asian-Americans as foreigners or second-class citizens. The use of the distorted phrases is insulting to the Chinese and Chinese-Americans, and gives the impression that they are a group that is substandard to English-speaking people."

Now, you would think that someone as "sensitive" as Rosie, even if she had just made a careless comment without thinking (which, come to think of it, is what she does most anytime her mouth is open), would at least apologize for any unintended insult. But instead, her rep very condescendingly said, "She's a comedian in addition to being a talk show co-host. I certainly hope that one day they will be able to grasp her humor."

So, apparently Rosie's humor is too sophisticated for Asian people to understand. May I ask once again, why doesn't she just go away?

Well, since you had to put up with that horrible picture at the top of this post, I guess I will make up for it by posting more pictures today. Danny DeVito didn't look that great drunk (nor sober, for that matter), but I wouldn't mind having a few with these guys....





































4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more both in your nuanced understanding of her insensitivity and her unwelcomed presence in our cultural landscape. I just THANK GOD that we are far enough along in the Gay Civil Rights Movement that we don't have to worry about "guilt by association." She is a perfect example of our celebrity culture gone mad. She is not talented, nor funny, nor profound. She's a bitter, loudmouthed agitator and the fact that she now sits at "the table" on The View has more to do with political correctness gone wild than any demonstrably worthy consideration. BTW, where do you get your wonderful pictures? I really get a kick out of their thematic unity. You're so creative, I get hard just thinking about it!

Unknown said...

just wanted to let you know, rosie o'donnell apologized on the view this morning.

Michael said...

Victor,
Well said! I think Donald Trump is right...people are going to tire of Rosie soon, and hopefully she will just waddle away.

As far as my pictures, I get them from a large variety of sources and have been collecting for years, so any single post probably comes from nearly as many sources as there are pictures! I'm not one to be selfish about my findings, though, so check out the link lists, as that has many of the places that I have visited along the way!

Michael said...

Mamazilla,
Thanks! Yeah, I heard her apology...kinda reminded me of when my mother used to make me apologize to my brother for fighting with him. I did it because I knew I had to, but my heart certainly wasn't in it! Thanks for linking to my blog from your site, by the way....great extremely thorough post there!