Welcome Message

This blog celebrates the beauty of Asian men by illustrating the depth and variety that is so often missed by those who make foolish statements like "All Asians look the same." It is primarily a photo blog, but I will also occasionally write comments related to Asian men and gay life as it relates to them.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A World of Color (Introduction)

In celebration of the fact that I can once again post to my blog, I am going to begin a series of posts today that I had originally intended to save for a later date. But I hope you will see that I have put significant effort into these posts, and perhaps that will help to stir up some excitement for this blog again after its unexpected compulsory hiatus!



At the start of September, I stepped aboard an airplane and left a very dreary Chicago for cheerful, relaxing Cancun, Mexico. The entire vacation was picture-perfect--exactly what I needed to regroup after a number of months filled with stress and anxiety.

One of the wonderful things about a vacation such as this, in which cell phones are left behind, internet and e-mail unavailable, and normal life responsibilities put on hold, is that we have opportunities just to step back and reflect on things that we tend to overlook in the hustle and bustle of life. The scent of the ocean breeze. The wonder of a simple melody sung by young children. The blessing of a healthy body that can take in all of the amazing sensory experiences of the world.

As I boarded the ferry that would take me to Cozumel Island and my first-ever snorkeling experience, I looked out at the beaches of Playa del Carmen, 45 minutes away from Cancun. My camera captured this picture of the warm, clear day, with its amazingly-white beaches, lazy clouds floating in a deep blue sky, and most memorably, the deep turquoise blue water that attempted to steal the spotlight from all the rest of the surrounding beauty.



The picture of that scene, imprinted both on a photograph and in my mind, started me thinking about the world of color in which we live. From the fiery colors of a summer sunset to the fragile hues of a flower's petals, ours is a world of endless variety and range in color.

I often am teased about my wardrobe. When somebody asks me what is my favorite color, I generally will respond, "cheerful" or "bright". The few outfits in my closet that are sedate and restrained generally don't get worn too often.

It is hard-wired inside us to crave variety. Perhaps not everyone will wear loud, tacky shirts without shame or self-consciousness, but we all enjoy seeing the season's new colors. It is this craving that compels us to stop and point when we see a rainbow appear in the sky. Nobody has to teach us that the strands of color lined together in the rainbow are "beautiful." We know it instinctively. It resonates from somewhere deep within us, just as we would agree as to the beauty of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel or the grandeur of nature's landscapes.



So why is it, I wondered to myself as I thought of the Caribbean waters, that so many cannot see the beauty in the variety of colors among the people of the world? A person would be regarded as odd or foolish if he said, "I'm only into orange clothing. I won't wear any other color, because orange is the only color I like." None of us would criticize the person for having a preference for orange clothing, perhaps it being his favorite color. But to be so limited in his taste that he cannot see beauty in any other color of clothing? We would feel sad for the person because he has so limited himself from the beauty that is so easily accessible around him in clothing stores everywhere.

The comparison here is obvious. Society would label a person as odd or eccentric if he had a monochrome wardrobe, but it barely bats an eye at a statement such as, "I'm only into white guys." One of my main motivations for starting this blog was a realization of how my life has been enriched and beautified by my interactions with people of different "colors" and the observation that relatively few places on the internet celebrate the beauty of diversity and variety. If I had unlimited time and no life, I could start several more blogs, celebrating the beauty of men of all colors, shapes, and sizes. Those who have visited the sister blog to this site, Auto-Gratification, have undoubtedly recognized this love for the beautiful men of the world.

So I invite you to join me over the next several days, as we explore the amazing World of Color in which we live. May we each do our part to help those within our spheres of influence to see the beauty in all people, regardless of their background, language, culture, and yes, color.

And, as always, some colorful Asian guys for you....































5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to learn how to play trumpet.

Michael said...

deuce....
It's pretty easy, actually. You just wrap your lips around the end of it and blow. The only tricky part is learning how to use your tongue effectively ;)

Anonymous said...

they say only people like us, prefers to wear colors....

anyway, good topic!!! :D
we should see people as a whole...
not base on their colors, whether its their clothes or race...

Michael said...

Tim....
I agree...forget the fine arts...he's just fine! [said in best snappy diva impersonator voice]

Michael said...

zenngo....
Well said...I wish more people would take that to heart.