Welcome Message

This blog celebrates the beauty of Asian men by illustrating the depth and variety that is so often missed by those who make foolish statements like "All Asians look the same." It is primarily a photo blog, but I will also occasionally write comments related to Asian men and gay life as it relates to them.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Packin'



I was looking through some pictures today, and it dawned on me that six years ago today, I was about halfway through my first-ever European vacation, a 3-week backpacking trip through Italy and Austria. Previous to that, I had taken 3 trips to Africa, but for each of those, I was dropped off at the airport in Chicago and met by friends at the airport in Africa. But for Europe, I decided to have a little adventure on my own. So I just bought a big backpack, stuffed it with a couple changes of clothes and lots of granola bars & fruit roll-ups, and flew to Rome.

I determined to make the absolute most of the trip on a limited budget, so I stayed in the cheapest places I could find (sometimes my hotel being an overnight train on the way from Rome to Venice or from Venice to Vienna). Also, with just a few exceptions, I ate very simple meals, trying to save my money for transportation and admission to places I wanted to see.

On November 11, I was in Milan, Italy, where I toured the breathtaking Duomo with its stunning stained-glass, followed by one of my three "special" meals of the trip, at a fancy restaurant in the Galleria Victorio Emmanuel (an amazing seafood pasta dish completed by the most amazing mixed berry custard dessert....nearly orgasmic!). Then the night finished off with a chills-down-my-back-inspiring concert at La Scala Opera House (one of many "pinch me" moments of the trip). Anyway, I'm just rambling along in my reverie here, but if you have never had the opportunity to take such a trip, I highly recommend it!



I did have one regret from the trip, however. On an overnight train from Venice to Vienna, I joined three other travelers about my age (mid-20's), each from a different place but all doing the same thing--backpacking around Europe. One was a nice Dutch guy, friendly but not particularly memorable. The next was a girl from Germany. But my final traveling companion was one of the most beautiful Asian guys I have ever seen, and he was traveling alone on vacation from his home in Australia (and yes, be it ever so shallow for me to say, his Australian accent just made me melt even more). Looking back in retrospect, I realize I should have picked up on certain hints he was dropping, such as would I like to get a drink with him when we got to Vienna and then go back to his hotel to rest. But sadly, I was still in my pre-coming-out days in which I was so completely confused and conflicted about my sexuality that I was absolutely terrified by the guy and so ran away as soon as the train arrived at the station. I saw him leaving the train station looking for me, but I turned a corner and metaphorically kicked myself in the butt for being such a coward.

By the way, if this sounds like I was pretty pitiful at the time, that's exactly the case. If you're interested, check out my recent posts on my other blog about my coming-out story. It's still in progress, but you'll get the idea with the sections I've posted thus far.

Which of these guys would you like to have as your traveling companion?....






























5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the number 8 but all are great!

Michael said...

Daarxide...
I think I would just take one of each :-)

Anonymous said...

I think most of us gay guys in our 30s & 40s now have regrets about how our coming out process interfered with a lot of good times we could have had when we were younger... it's not our fault, what did we know? We just have to have as much fun as possible now to make up for it, and rejoice that younger guys can benefit from a more liberal atmosphere in many places now (and help them have fun when possible, hehehe).

Michael said...

Anonymous....
In many ways, I'm grateful that I came out a bit later (age 28), because I don't think I was particularly mature at 18 or 21 (or 26...lol). I think when I did come out, I had grown up enough that I was able to enjoy the experience and really appreciate what it meant, without becoming self-destructive as I might have been earlier on.

Michael said...

Tim....
Glad to help you with your "alone time." :-)